Tuesday 19 February 2013

Travel : Model Village Roundup

As we start to plan our camping and caravanning holidays for the summer, why not increase the fun by taking in some of the UK's finest attractions - Model Villages?

Dorset

Wimborne Minster is the home to a substantial model village, which is itself an exact replica of the village itself.  One omission is that in the corner of the model village where the model village should be located, there is just a blank space. 





View Larger Map

Wimborne is widely rumoured to be the location for the 'Model Village Scene' in the 2007 cop thriller 'Hot Fuzz'. Alas this is not so. The Model Village involved was built for the film, although Wimborne's village was the inspiration. Also features a cafe and a giant chessboard.

Devon

 
Once you've visited the Model Village at Babbacombe,  near Paignton you will never forget it.  Easily the largest model village in the UK - you could build a small human village on the space it occupies.  In terms of the Choughworld model village checklist:-

  • Waterways: check
  • Railways: check
  • Moving roadways: check (when they work)
  • Small houses: check
If this were not enough, you can also visit the workshops, see a model of Basil Fawlty hitting his butler Miguel frozen forever in time, medieval castles with dragons and visit a 4D cinema (for extra cost).



View Larger Map


Or take a trip down Memory Lane...


Of course Manchester used to have a model village 'Miniland' at Belle Vue.  If you'd like to take a trip down memory lane, go to http://manchesterhistory.net/bellevue/Miniland.html


20 comments:

  1. Dear MEN, advice please.

    I have already booked my early summer camping holiday, but not to one of these places. Should I cancel, loose my deposit and re-book a campsite nearer to the above.

    What do you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Mrs Pann, there are plenty more model villages in the UK.

      I found this link very useful when 'researching' the article.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_village#United_Kingdom

      Delete
    2. Is this the start of a new feature a "Dear Chough" column?

      Delete
    3. I might, but I was planning an in-depth article on Travelators first.

      Trying to branch out from dog shit and chip pan fires, especially as the MEN is going to town on the latter subject.

      Delete
    4. I'd love to have a 'Dear Chough' page. We could have a different topic each week maybe starting with 'How to get the smell of cat piss off your front door step' or 'Are married men really off limits?'

      Delete
    5. Alternatively 'how to get married men off your doorstep', and 'is cat piss off limits'.

      Delete
    6. Been there and done the whole cat piss thing, gave it up once I found that even a boil wash doesn't get rid of the smell. Also, I would welcome a married man on my mat but sadly the smell of cat piss puts them off.

      Delete
    7. Is it your cat or a neighbours? Same solution but you need to be a little more 'stealthy' about if it's your neightbours cat...

      Delete
    8. How the heck did we go from model villages to cat piss?

      Delete
  2. Scratchy, there is cat piss everywhere. They are local cats belonging to local people (we'll have no pissing here!) so I have to watch what I do. Maybe all the married men on my mat could spray their scent around to put the beasts off. I wouldn't hurt any animal but the cats where I live are very pungent and creative in their pissy ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Either purchase a cat repeller from B and Q

    http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden-care-watering/pest-weed-control/animal_control/-specificproducttype-cat___dog_repellents/Defender-Mega-Sonic-Cat-Repeller-10777804?skuId=11268390

    or an air rifle, fitted with a sliencer

    ReplyDelete
  4. A low powered BB gun is a humane alternative to an air rifle. Before long the sound of a window opening acts as a deterrent to them .

    But I do agree on what a shame it is that my nice travel article descended to this. Perhaps I'll force everyone to log in via Facebook...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You cruel so and so, causing the cats pain with a BB gun! At least my solution kills them outright without any suffering. Plus it saves you having to keep an eye on your domain, opening and closing windows, which may make the neighbours think you've eaten a load of sprouts.

      Delete
    2. Ok then hippie, try a water pistol..

      Delete
    3. are you really suggesting drowning them now, you sir are so so cruel

      Delete
    4. No I'm not really suggesting drowing cats.... I'm suggesting that it might be nice to visit a model village or two!

      Delete
    5. I once made a model village for my son to put on his hornby train set, he loved it. however he then proceeded to blow it up with his model jet fighters and then crush the buildings with his model tanks. I fear visiting a model will cause flashbacks to that traumatic time and a relapse into a depressive state. thanks for that wish

      Delete
    6. I remember visiting a model village as a child - possibly Babbacombe - and my parents being shocked that the fishing village had been vandalised.

      Only as the years rushed on did I realise that it had been constructed with tiles falling off the rooves to make it look more rustic.

      My parents still read the Daily Moan.

      Delete
    7. I once believed that the Daily Moan should give away free blood pressure tablets to its readers, but they may not have such a worked-up online community if they did.

      As you know, I still buy and read the MEN -but I take blood pressure tablets and sedatives beforehand.

      Delete
  5. Spike Milligan used an air rifle with felt pellets

    ReplyDelete